To win the marketplace, you must first win in the workplace.
Incessant performance can never be achieved without great people and culture. An inevitable truth is that when a company is in its earliest days i.e when there is no performance or numbers to speak of, only differentiator is the team, their purpose, and their culture. Normally, founders start businesses not to just create a company but to solve problems that a layman or a organization encounters in his day to day life, and to understand that they have a purpose that can actually make a meaningful difference.
- Employees should look forward to going to their jobs. They should have a hard time leaving because they enjoy the challenges and the atmosphere there. Jobs shouldn’t heighten stress in employees. While the work may be difficult, the culture shouldn’t add to the stress of the work. On the contrary, the culture should be designed to alleviate the work related stress.*
- Create a clear vision statement for your company: Employees like to know that the job they are doing is making a difference. By creating a vision statement about where you want your company to be in the future and how you want it to make the world a better place creates an air of striving for betterment in the workplace. This lays the foundation for a positive work culture.
- The logic should be to actually drive the employees and their co workers to put their utmost importance in meeting the basic needs of the entire company. If an employee isn’t committed to the basic mission of any particular organization, it just becomes another job, and when it’s just another job, it usually means the employee isn’t happy.
- While hiring, hire people with positive attitude. One with a negative attitude can damage an entire workplace. A hiring person when in process of hiring should look for an upbeat disposition in the candidate. They should be very careful with the questions that needs to be asked to any candidate that would reflect their attitude towards the organization along with their attitude towards teammates.
- People with positive attitude towards the company can be filtered out from people having negative attitude. This doesn’t mean people with negative attitude are to be kicked out. Its work of a leader to convert that negativity to positivity. If you already have negative employees on staff, take them aside to discuss their attitudes and make it clear that you are creating a positive work culture.
- Appreciation plays a biggest role in creating an awesome company culture. Who doesn’t likes appreciation ?? Very often appreciation is a greater reward than money. Show your gratitude for the contribution every individual member makes to the organization.
- Be a team and not just mere individuals.
- Let your employees know they are appreciated. Employees who are not recognized for the work they do can feel as though their work is unappreciated. Establish reward systems for excellent performance and never forget to thank an employee for a job well done
- Always make sure that employees are informed about exciting new changes or new horizons which will help them stay engaged in the company and feel more positive about the future. Be honest and open with your employees.
Culture is very little about what we say, and very much about what we do. If we don’t live it, it’s never going to play out as we want.